SGMP’s NEC Is Just Around The Corner!
The National Education Conference is quickly approaching and we are looking forward to seeing everyone in Detroit! Here are a few useful facts to keep handy to make your trip more enjoyable:
We have a conference app for your iPhone and Android devices (as well as tablets)! The app has the agenda, meeting locations, speaker bios, exhibitors, sponsors, etc. You can use the app to communicate with other attendees. Log into the app with the email address you use with SGMP. Download the app now and join the conversation. Use the hashtags #SGMPNEC and #SGMPIgnite!
Detroit Airport and Ground Transportation
There are two terminals at the Detroit Airport, McNamara Terminal which handles all Delta flights and North Terminal which services all other airlines. The separate terminals are not walkable, but they are connected by complimentary shuttle buses.
- Taxi Options – Fares range from $45-$55 based on traffic conditions. At both terminals, follow the signs for the Ground Transportation Center. Cabs are available on Level 4.
- Ride Share Services – Ride share services like Uber and Lyft are available at the Detroit Airport. Depending on time of day and type of service you request (pool, private, XL, etc.) fees range from $30-$50. Follow the signs to the Ground Transportation Center in each terminal. Once across the sky bridge, follow the “Ride Sharing” signs. In McNamara Terminal, they pick up on Level 4 of the parking garage; at North Terminal, they pick up on Level 1 of the parking garage.
- Use the conference app to find a Ride Share buddy! – Looking to save money on airport transportation? Now you can use our conference app to find other SGMP NEC attendees who are arriving at similar times to you! On the home screen of the app there is a tab for Airport Ride Share Meetup. Click on that tab and enter your flight arrival day and time, along with airline (remember, Delta flights land at a different terminal than all others). If you see someone with a time close to yours, click on their name and start a direct private chat with them to make arrangements. Saving money is now in the palm of your hand!
Hotel and Sightseeing
- Meeting Locations – All of the sessions are held at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center. Registration, plenary sessions and exhibits are on the 3rd floor; all other sessions and the silent auction are on the 5th floor. The conference app has specific room assignments and floor plans for all sessions.
- FIREWORKS – MONDAY, JUNE 24, 2019 – Please be advised if you are going to be at the hotel, or traveling to the hotel, on June 24, there may be significant traffic delays, and all registered guests will need to have wrist bands to access the property. Find more information and a decal you must print and display to get through the traffic barriers.
- Local Information – For additional ideas of things to see and do while you’re in Detroit, please visit: visitdetroit.com.
Tuesday evening’s opening reception, hosted by Visit Detroit, Michigan Economic Development Corporation, and Meetings Michigan will be held at The Fillmore Detroit. The opening reception runs from 6:00 – 9:00 PM.
- Buses will depart from the Marriott Hotel motor lobby at 5:15 PM and run in continuous loop with final coaches leaving the hotel at 6:15 PM.
- Buses will begin departures from the Fillmore at 8:15 PM to return to the Marriott. The final buses will depart at 9:15 PM. No shuttle service will be provided after 9:15 PM.
- Display your chapter pride! You are encouraged to wear your chapter shirts to the opening reception!
- Please be sure to pick up your name badge prior to heading over. If you arrive after registration is closed, you can still attend.
- New To the NEC? If so, be sure to attend the “So You’re New to SGMP NEC” session at 4:00 PM on Tuesday, June 25, 2019, in the Richard A & B. This will give you a better understanding of what to expect.
- Jump Start Your Day On Tuesday, June 25 and Wednesday, June 26, join National Board Members for a 5K run or 2K walk! Meet at 6:00 AM at the Riverside exit of the Renaissance Center.
- National Charity – SGMP GIVES BACK! Please join us in supporting our national charity. This year SGMP has selected Detroit nonprofit Alternatives For Girls as its 2019 National Education Conference Charity. Founded in 1987, Alternatives for Girls helps homeless and high-risk girls and young women avoid violence, teen pregnancy and exploitation. AFG provides a range of essential services to girls and young women including safe shelter, street outreach and educational support, vocational guidance, mentoring, prevention activities and counseling. NEC attendees are encouraged to donate online purchase items from the agency’s wishlist.
- Head Shots – We will have a photographer onsite during the Expo to take professional head shots. Photos are $20 with the proceeds going to future NEC scholarships! Purchase yours through this link.
- Silent and Live Auction – Please be sure to bring your credit card to bid on silent and live auction items! All bids and payments will be taken online. No cash will be accepted. You can access the silent auction items via the conference app.
What to Pack & CEUs
- Dress Code – The opening reception and conference sessions are business casual. For the Gilmer Gala Reception and Awards Ceremony on Wednesday evening, attendees are encouraged to dress up; however, this is NOT a requirement and business attire is acceptable.
- Business Cards – Be sure to bring PLENTY of business cards. This is one comment we’ve heard repeatedly in the past, people wishing they had more cards.
- Continuing Education – NEC has been approved for continuing education credit for CGMP and CMP designations.
- Weather – The weather will be nice! Typically the highs are in the low-mid 80’s, and lows are in the low 70’s. Be sure to check weather.com closer to departure for the latest weather reports.